The Master of Arts in Strategic Communication and Public Relations (SCPR) program provides students with the knowledge, skills and experiences to become successful communication professionals in the 21st century.
Developed in collaboration with leading experts, the SCPR curriculum pairs theoretical and historical understanding with hands-on learning preparing students to meet the demands of an ever-changing workplace. The SCPR program teaches students how to create meaningful messages and strategic campaigns that resonate with diverse audiences. Our students learn the latest multimedia tools and social media platforms in order to develop real-world materials for a variety of business, media, nonprofit and political organizations. Through internships and capstone projects SCPR students gain practical experience and build their professional networks. SCPR students graduate with personalized digital portfolios, which showcase their unique talents and interests.
Strategic communication and public relations is an industry on the rise. The U.S. Department of Labor has predicted that employment opportunities for managers, specialists, content producers, event planners and media trainers will grow between 12% and 33% by 2022, and skilled communicators are needed to fill these positions.
Graduate in One Year
The SCPR curriculum is designed so full-time students can complete their degree in one year by attending class two nights a week. Part-time students graduate in two years and only attend class one night a week.
Blended Courses and Innovative Scheduling
With convenient eight-week sessions across the full calendar year, students can accelerate their degree and career, building skills, knowledge, connections, and a professional portfolio along the way.
Sacred Heart’s Fairfield campus is a short train ride (just 55 miles) from New York City, the media capital of the world, and is strategically positioned in the heart of the creative corridor providing students with outstanding local opportunities for career development in the rapidly expanding fields of strategic communication and public relations.
Hands-on Learning through Internships and Capstone Projects
SCPR students complete an internship and a capstone project as part of a curriculum strategy in which students are immersed in a professional setting to gain advanced practical training and real-world results. SCPR students build their professional résumés while earning their degree.
Professional Portfolios for the Digital Age
SCPR graduates leave with a digital portfolio of materials that demonstrate to potential employers that they are highly skilled communicators with advanced training in the latest media technologies.
Integrated Laptop Program
SCPR students receive a MacBook Pro laptop running the latest Apple and Adobe software and their coursework includes training with platforms that have become the industry standard. Students take ownership of their laptop when they graduate.
The SCPR faculty is comprised of award-winning scholars and media professionals with experience in every sector of the communication and media industries.
The SCPR graduate program is housed in the Martire Center for the Liberal Arts. This fully equipped facility is designed to provide a cutting-edge education and support student-centered learning.
- A MacBook Pro that is yours to keep upon graduation, plus a license to Adobe Creative Suite programs while enrolled in the program.
- Course instructors who are respected scholars and media professionals.
- Access to the state-of-the-art Martire Center for the Liberal Arts with studios, multimedia computer labs, a recording studio and editing suites.
- Connection through Sacred Heart’s existing relationships with more than 100 nonprofit organizations, businesses and media outlets.
- Workshops and guest lecturers from leading public relations, media studies, communication studies, and strategic communication experts, as well as professionals in the field.
- Entrance into a field (advertising, promotions, marketing management, and meeting/event planning) that is expected to grow faster than average through 2024.
- Coursework guided by an Advisory Board comprised of communication professionals who ensure students graduate with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the industry.
- Small class sizes, between 10-15 students, which allows for personalized attention and preparation for individual career paths.
- Ideal location: just 60 minutes outside of New York City, in the heart of the creative corridor, providing outstanding local opportunities for career development in strategic communication and public relations.